Articles on this Page
- 11/19/15--09:06: _ELRIC AND THE SINKI...
- 11/19/15--09:06: _DRAGONSBANE
- 11/19/15--00:01: _DRAGON SET
- 11/19/15--09:06: _DRAGON LAKE
- 11/19/15--00:12: _DARK TOWER SET OF 4
- 11/19/15--00:12: _DARK TOWER SET B
- 11/19/15--00:12: _DARK TOWER SET A
- 11/19/15--09:06: _CROWN OF SHADOWS
- 11/19/15--00:01: _COLDFIRE SET
- 11/19/15--09:07: _A MEMORY OF LIGHT
- 11/19/15--09:07: _SHALLAN
- 11/19/15--09:08: _STONE OF FAREWELL
- 11/19/15--09:08: _STORMBRINGER
- 11/19/15--09:08: _THE SUMMER QUEEN
- 11/19/15--09:08: _TARRANT’S REALM
- 11/19/15--09:08: _THE TOWER CARD
- 11/19/15--09:08: _THE WAY OF KINGS
- 11/19/15--09:08: _WORDS OF RADIANCE
- 06/28/17--14:35: _OSTEN ARD SET OF 4
- 06/28/17--14:48: _DARKNESS OVER HAYHO...
- 11/19/15--09:06: ELRIC AND THE SINKING CITY
- 11/19/15--09:06: DRAGONSBANE
- 11/19/15--00:01: DRAGON SET
- 11/19/15--09:06: DRAGON LAKE
- 11/19/15--00:12: DARK TOWER SET OF 4
- 11/19/15--00:12: DARK TOWER SET B
- 11/19/15--00:12: DARK TOWER SET A
- 11/19/15--09:06: CROWN OF SHADOWS
- 11/19/15--00:01: COLDFIRE SET
- 11/19/15--09:07: A MEMORY OF LIGHT
- 11/19/15--09:07: SHALLAN
- 11/19/15--09:08: STONE OF FAREWELL
- 11/19/15--09:08: STORMBRINGER
- 11/19/15--09:08: THE SUMMER QUEEN
- 11/19/15--09:08: TARRANT’S REALM
- 11/19/15--09:08: THE TOWER CARD
- 11/19/15--09:08: THE WAY OF KINGS
- 11/19/15--09:08: WORDS OF RADIANCE
- 06/28/17--14:35: OSTEN ARD SET OF 4
- 06/28/17--14:48: DARKNESS OVER HAYHOLT (THE WITCHWOOD CROWN)
A highlight of Michael's early illustration career was the opportunity to paint Michael Moorcock's antihero Elric of Melnibone. To this day, his Elrics are among the most popular Whelan covers and we can now offer these beautiful reproductions at an affordable price.
The fastest way to grab a potential reader's attention is to raise a question on the cover - is the dragon saving the woman or about to have her for lunch?
This Whelan art certainly did that for author Brandon Sanderson when his eighth grade teacher gave him DRAGONSBANE by Barbara Hambly. He enjoyed it so much, he went in search of other fantasy titles and as "they" say, the rest is history.
This cover art for THE STAR SCROLL by Melanie Rawn features the first Whelan dragon with patterned scales.
The same limited edition prints LEGENDS: THE GUNSLINGER, GUNSLINGER ON THE BEACH,THE CRIMSON KING and THE DARK TOWER that we sell individually. We group them together for you at a great price and guarantee the same edition numbers.
Set of both LEGENDS: THE GUNSLINGER and THE GUNSLINGER ON THE BEACH. The same limited edition prints we sell individually. We pair them up for you at a great price and guarantee the same edition numbers.
Cover art for the last book in the Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman. Gerald Tarrant, the tragic anti-hero whose prolonged life dominates the storyline, is once again framed by exotic trees in this stunning fantasy illustration.
With over 44 million copies sold worldwide, The Wheel of Time has built a massive readership in the last 20 years. When creator Robert Jordan died, loyal fans feared they would never know the end of the epic series.In 2009, Brandon Sanderson took up the challenge of writing the last 3 books using Jordan's extensive notes and advice from the original editor - Mrs. Jordan/Harriet McDougal. Fans have been thankful and delighted with the results.A MEMORY OF LIGHT, the fourteenth and last book in the series, features this amazing cover art by Michael Whelan.
Brandon Sanderson has said on many occasions that Shallan's storyline would be the focus of the latest installment of his bestselling series THE STORMLIGHT ARCHIVE, but a key scene featuring Kaladin and Szeth was chosen for the cover.
Tor Books commissioned Michael to do a second painting for this very special volume and SHALLAN appears as the endpapers.
An extraordinary wraparound cover painting for the second book in the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn Trilogy by Tad Williams. The butterflies have obvious appeal, but note the cool city on top of the rock!
This all-time favorite Elric painting is finally in print again! Printed by Michael himself, so you can be assured of its color quality.
Joan D. Vinge's sequel to her amazing Snow Queen novel provided Michael with the perfect opportunity to create the companion piece to his cover art. Again he has woven key elements of the story into the mask and his singular imagination and attention to fine detail is in full display.
This cover art for BLACK SUN RISING, the first book in the Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman portrays the deadly grace of anti-hero Gerald Tarrant; but, Michael also created a classic fantasy scene that can be appreciated by all fans of the genre.
With a knowing smile, the Man in Black plays the final card.
This breakout hit of 2010 saw the return to cover art for Michael Whelan after an extended hiatus. The first in an expected 10 book series was embraced by both old and new fans of epic fantasy and it became a NY Times bestseller for author Brandon Sanderson. Michael highly recommends the tale and its brand new sequel WORDS OF RADIANCE.
Michael Whelan returns to the Shattered Plains of Roshar for this latest installment of THE STORMLIGHT ARCHIVE by #1 NYT bestselling author Brandon Sanderson.
Fans have been anxiously awaiting Sanderson's and Whelan's return to this epic series following their work on THE WHEEL OF TIME - and they won't be disappointed.
Almost 30 years ago, DAW Books contacted Michael about illustrating the cover for a high fantasy novel by Tad Williams. Their amazing relationship began with The Dragonbone Chair, and Tad's work continued to inspire many epic covers from GREEN ANGEL TOWER through the OTHERLAND series.
This darkly beautiful painting for THE WITCHWOOD CROWN signals the return to Osten Ard for Whelan and Williams. DAW preferred a more mysterious approach this time, without the main characters—it's the red menace in the windows of the Tower of Hjeldin that takes center stage.